This project is read-only.

Does this tool support TFS 2012?

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I have run the gui version of the tool and entered my server details, but clicking on "Get ChangeSets" button does nothing. I just have "ROOTPLACEHOLDER" listed in the left hand pane.

Some background:

1. I'm using TFS 2012.
  2. I don't have any branches defined - all my checkins are in the root branch (could this be the prob?)

Thanks

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Hi,

ROOTPLACEHOLDER is just a kind of place holder object that I had in the tree view to show all the branches below it. In TFS, It's possible to have many root branches and I thought having ROOTPLACEHOLDER on top of all the branches will show nice tree hierarchy view. 

Get Changeset works against Branches only. It does not work against folders as there could be a large collection of folders in your project hierarchy and for large TFS projects this will be a big overhead to show everything in a huge tree view. This was the main reason why we decided to keep branch objects as a base for generating changelog / release notes. 

Now, it's possible for users to turn individual folder to a branch. For example if you have following heirarchy in your project....

$/ProjectName

/Main

/src

/docs

then you can right mouse click on $PROJECTNAME/Main folder >>>> Select Branch and Merge >>> Select Convert to Branch option. This way you are differentiating standard folder to a branch object.

After converting to a Branch object, you can run TFSChangeLog application which will allow you to select Main within Branch Hierarchy tree view and you will be able to see all the changelog within that branch.

I hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Dharmesh Shah

Marked as answer by Dharmesh_Shah on 10/15/2013 at 4:38 AM
Sep 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Thanks for the detailed response Dharmesh. I'll come back to this when I review my usage of branches in TFS