I dont see the changeset numbers

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I see the workitem IDs but I dont see the changesets associated with that WI. Also would like to be able to generate the same type of report based on an Iteration path. Thanks I will be following.

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Hi,

As part of generating Release Notes process, TFSChangeLog application shall first create an XML file (with naming convention of as “YYYYMMDD_hhmmss_TFSChangeLog.xml”) which is the base data file. This XML file should be present in “C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\TFSChangeLog” directory on Windows 7 PC (Windows XP uses different location for AppData). 

This XML file is then used as base data file for transforming it into HTML format and that’s what is presented to user at the end of the release notes generation process.  The transformation rules are defined in “C:\Program Files (x86)\TFSChangeLog\TFS 2010 ReleaseNotesTemplate.xslt” file. By default, XSLT does not transform ChangeSet information from XML into HTML due to the fact that many Changesets could be linked to the same WorkItem and we would like to just show unique list of WorkItems in a sorted order in Release Notes report. But it’s possible to change the default transformation rules to include ChangeSet information and then associated WorkItem information by introducing your own XSLT file and replacing the existing one. 

Similarly, if you want to generate release notes report based on Iteration Path or any other field from WorkItems then it should be possible to do that just by modifying your XSLT file. By default all this information is present in the base XML data file that is produced by TFSChangeLog application.

I hope this is of help.

Best Regards,

Dharmesh Shah.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Hi Dharmesh,

I just wanted to know if XML data file also has the information of the changeset which doesn't have any work item linked to it so that we can display this changeset information in the report as well, instead of just mentioning the number.

Regards,

Arvind

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Edited Oct 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Hi Arvind,

Yes, in XML file, you will see details about changeset even if it does not have any WorkItems associated with it. You will notice that for such changesets we only have blank entry for WorkItems as per following code snippet.

<ChangeSet>
      <ID>CHANGESET ID</ID>
      <Date>DATE AND TIME</Date>
      <Comment>CHANGESET COMMENT</Comment>
      <User>XXXXXXX</User>
      <WorkItems />
    </ChangeSet>

Please also note that for changesets we only extract information around ID, Date and Time, comment & User. If you need more information then we will have to raise CR for TFS Changelog application and enhance it in the next version.

Best Regards,

Dharmesh Shah.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply Dharmesh!

We are planning to integrate TFSchangelog in TFS build using Invokementhod. Do you see any challenges here? Why i am asking this is because I remember your post somewhere mentioning that it cannot be integrated with automated build. Since it has a command-line option as well, i was wondering if this can be achieved.

Regards,

Arvind

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Hi Arvind,

To generate release notes, users have to pass in “Stating ChangeSet” and “Ending ChangeSet” as a rangeto TFS ChangeLog application . We use “TFSChangeLogConfig.xml” configuration file as a parameter to “TFSChangeLogCL.exe” application. Above configuration file contains  “Stating ChangeSet” and “Ending ChangeSet” details that are used for generating release notes. 

Now if it’s okay for you to update “Stating ChangeSet” and “Ending ChangeSet” information manually then InvokeProcess from a Build workflow shall work without any problems. But if you would like it to be dynamic and you should be able to pass in this information via InvokeProcess parameter then it’s an issue. 
Please note that by setting “Ending ChangeSet” to Zero, TFS ChangeLog shall automatically pick-up latest changeset as “Ending ChangeSet” for defining changeset range. 

It will be nice if you can share your experience of using TFS ChangeLog Command Line version via InvokeProcess build activity. Also, if you want to see any other changes to this application then please file new Issue that we can then prioritize for future development at http://tfschangelog.codeplex.com site.

I hope this answers your question. 

Best Regards,

Dharmesh Shah.

Marked as answer by Dharmesh_Shah on 10/15/2013 at 4:35 AM
May 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Is there anyway we could have the files in the changeset added to the XML? Right now we just get the changeset number. It appears that one would need to change GenerateReleaseNotesService.cs in Operations/Services and probably something in dataAccess/Model and view/Model.
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Hi Phechtwescom,

I think it should be possible but as you said, it will require code changes. We are not planning to do that for now as it's not highly demanded feature. Plus I don't know what value does it bring as you can anyway run command to show differences based on TFS ChangeSet numbers in the Version Control Explorer within Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
TFSChangeLog Team.
Marked as answer by Dharmesh_Shah on 10/15/2013 at 4:35 AM